Over the past few weeks, I have had the weirdest things going on. I was calling it random but now I’m beginning to suspect that it’s not random at all.
I had a filling replaced about 4 weeks ago and have had nagging pain in my mouth ever since. I tweaked my back and my neck is in knots. I don’t have allergies but this pollen is really getting the best me! That’s just the physical stuff, I’ll spare you the rest of the list… and now I’m whining.
I know there are people who are facing more difficult situations than I am. At times, that thought causes me to just suck it up and deal with my little aches, pains and issues and try not complain.
The problem with this thought is it also causes me to discount that there could be any spiritual connection to what’s happening. I ignore the truth that God is using all things in my life to work out his purpose in me. And, the devil is looking for any opportunity that he can to bring discouragement and cause me to lose my focus.
“Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” Romans 8:26-28 MSG
To know that the Holy Spirit knows me and knows my condition and keeps me present before God is huge! I try not to give the devil too much credit but I don’t want to ignore his attempts either.
So, this is what I do:
- I look at the pattern and actually make a list of all the things that are getting me down at the moment.
- I lay them out before God and ask Him to show me if there is a theme to this madness. Am I too busy? Have I neglected to take care of myself? Is there a problem I am avoiding? What does God have to say about all this?
- I take authority over every plan the devil has to distract me and steal my focus. I break any agreement I’ve made that doesn’t line up with the truth of God’s Word. Basically, I kick the devil to the curb!
- I go through my day listening to what the Holy Spirit wants to reveal to me and I ask God for healing… in my body, my relationships, my spiritual life, whatever needs healing.
- I get back to beginning my day in His Word! I resist the urge to put it off until later, and reading early helps me keep my focus on God.
What do you do to connect back to God when life just seems to be hard?